Thursday, January 26, 2012

Triathlon Training - one sport at a time

There comes a day when you reflect on something you read on the WORLD WIDE WEB and wish you had bookmarked it.  Well this day came late last year as I was trying to figure out how my training was going to be done in the following months leading up to my first 2012 tri race.

Somewhere in the www, I read an article that mentioned focusing primarily on one sport at a time and then combining them together.  The idea is that sometimes in the mix of tight schedules, we try to do each sport a little here, a little there, combined.  That's the result of what happened last year at my first triathlon, the Turkey Tri.  My swim was non-competitive and the energy sapped from me carried over to the bike and eventually on the run (my lower back was killing me!).  The article recommended working on each specific sport to create a good foundation in which we could build upon.

In Southern California, January is usually the month that we get most of our heavy rain.  I decided to focus on running in January so that I could keep the bike home and not worry about keeping it clean (or crash!).  Typical running techniques are now put into place; working on maintaining an anaerobic heart rate endurance, speed workouts (intervals,fartleks) and elevation gains/loss.  I am still riding the bike at least once a week to maintain that base fitness, although I have not put any pool time in yet.  I plan to change that soon by renewing my gym membership (eck!) as I will be switching to swimming in Feb.

My overall goal looks like this:
January - Running: Improve 5k time, run 20 miles in 6 days, improve form/foundation
February - Swimming: Understand proper stroke technique, breathing regimens, endurance
March - Cycling: Focus on intervals to increase speed, complete at least (1) 75 mile ride

I have "planned" a race in late March if all this training goes appropriately and as cycling is my strongest asset, I have saved it for last to allow the muscle groups that involve running and swimming repair themselves.

Thoughts?  I'll let you know how this goes in April!

No comments:

Post a Comment