Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hump Day - Mock Triathlon

This is the first time I was able to combine all 3 training items together.  In the past it was just the 2 (swim/run or bike/run).  After work I hopped on the bike on the Santa Ana River trail and focused on heart rate monitor training (HRM) basically keeping my BPM to 147-151.  I kept at it for 34 miles and averaged in at 19.3 mph.  I felt good getting off the bike and not overly exhausted - the bike leg is the strongest of the 3 events.

Then it was time for dinner, a quick visit @ Pomona Valley Hospital for our cousin's new baby, and then church!  CKC Wednesdays are sure different for me as I am one of the supervising adults of the 4-5th graders.....lots of energy!

We got home around 9:30 and after a little bout of putting Judah to sleep, I headed out to 24hr Fitness.  Jessikah was sewing so she was occupied.  Out of all things, this is one of the fine lines in our relationship.  How to balance our personal goals/activities and keep everything alive and in check.

I got to 24hr around 10:50 p.m. and hit the pool for laps.  Primary work was breathing techniques/side-to-side kick rotation/kick board/then laps.  I'm not a good swimmer and this is my weakest link.  Only constant (proper) training will improve this over time. Thank goodness for wetsuits! I'm using an Xterra Vortex 4.

11:30 p.m. and I'm out of the pool and changing into my running gear.  I decided to run a 5k at my current aerobic threshold (147-153 bpm).  26 min later and about 9:00 min/mile I was still fresh and not burned out.  That is the way you should feel on any of your workouts if you stick to aerobic threshold training for endurance.  Do note periodic interval speed training is a neccessary to increase performance over time.  I will elaborate into this in another post.

12:15-12:50 - I hit various weights mostly hitting my chest and triceps (swimming arms).  The last one was leg lifts at low weight/high reps (50) and increasing the weight every 50.  This session was to go back to increasing my bike strength.

1 a.m. - To ensure what was done wasn't lost...I had ensured to digest protein (shake) within 30 min.  I was starving, so a egg salad sammich did the trick!  It has been a long day, but well worth it I hope! 

No comments:

Post a Comment