Sunday, October 30, 2011

Uh oh.....Nutrition!

Ran out of protein powder shakes today! Time to hit my local Chino Hills Nutrishop for replenishment. FYI I am using Pro7ein since the past 6 months. I find that provides the nourishment I need and keep my calories in check. In the past I was on a different brand that was geared towards nourishment and muscle mass increase. Since I have gone sub-200 lbs. the switch has been good. Usually one in the morning, one at night before bed and anytime in between immediately following a workout or snack time.  What works for you?  I haven't been sold on what the true difference in protein powder found at Target/Walmart then the pro shops.....

Also people have always asked what I have been doing as far as meals to help with my weight loss. One of the most important things is breakfast and frequent/smaller meals. One easy mornin staple for me is wheat sandwich thins, one egg, and Trader Joe's Red Pepper Spread. It has some garlic and eggplant for a nice flavor to add to some rather bland favors. I believe this is a wholesome 220 calorie meal.

Sometimes my mornings get messed up, so my back up plan is instant oatmeal packets either plain or reduced sugar. These are easy to keep in my desk for a long time and hot water should easily be had with a water cooler or microwave.  What kind of stuff works for you guys? I'm always looking for the other setup to keep the variety good.
Other things I did over time was drink lots of water. I carry around a cooler so there is no excuse and only need to take small swigs at a time instead of gulping cups at a time. During lunch when choosing food items out at fast food, I stick with these options:

- No Cheese
- No Ketchup - use Mustard instead
- No Mayo - use either Mustard or Light Mayo if you must
- Protein style about 50% of the time or wheat bun
- Side salad instead of french fries.  Most places will let you do a combo like this.  I go for Italian/Balsamic or light ranch.  Chick-fil-A has a pretty good lo-cal honey mustard and a decent salad.
- Ice tea or water instead of soda; even no diet!

If your are starving, one of my favorite meals is El Pollo Loco's Skinless Breast Meal.  You get to choose 2 sides, in which side salad (with no dressing, I use the salsa bar) and steamed vegetables do the trick.  Very low in calories, full in taste and different in variety.  Sure winner everytime!

Keep doing the little things and they will become easier and you won't remember missing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment