Sunday, October 30, 2011

Squeezing it in....

Training for me is a regimen that I feel that I have limited time to work with.  The main reason is that I want to spend as much time with my family when I am available to them.  That means waking up early before everyone else, or hitting the routine late at night.

Today is Sunday... 7 a.m. - went out for 4.5 mile run in about 40 minutes.  I got home around 8 and noticed that Bradyn, my oldest son (6), was awake downstairs.  I told him to quietly get dressed and grab his bike for a ride.  I leashed our dog, Hadyn, and off we went for another 2.5 miles of running.  Afterwards we hit the local park and let Hadyn and Bradyn let off some steam in the open field.  I accomplished 3 things in this 30 minute span:
1. Spend some outdoor time with Bradyn.
2. Got the energy worked out of Hadyn the dog.
3. Adding in more training time for myself.

To Bradyn, it was one thing alone....he got to spend some time with Dad by himself.  He couldn't be happier to choose the route, enjoy the crisp cool breeze and have conversation with Dad while on his bike.

After we got home, I cooked up some gluten-free waffles and some egg sandwiches for the kiddos and got ready for Church (11 a.m.). 

Later in the afternoon, Bradyn went to a friends house, Judah took a nap and Jessikah was on the phone with her Sister Lindsay......off to the park with Titus, Hadyn and I on our bikes.  This time Titus was on the playground while I shot some baskets right next door.  I then headed off to the same field from the morning and let Hadyn and Titus just have at it.

Enjoy the outdoors no matter how with your kids....it will be second 'nature' to them instead of playing the Wii.  You will benefit from this in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment