Tuesday, February 28, 2012

2% FLAT skim milk....

Well today on my lunch ride of 14 miles, halfway through I encountered the dreaded pfffftffffftttttffffffff noise that comes from a punctured 115 psi filled tire/tube.  I had decided to add an additional route for an extra 3 miles that landed me in the middle of some debris that wanted me to enjoy my outing a little longer.

Directing myself to my trusty kit, I got myself back on the road within 5-6 minutes.  30 seconds was added to take this picture!  So this brings me to this topic of what to carry and how to change an inner tube.

What I carry in my little wedge under my seat:
- Spare Tube
- (1-2) threaded air cartridges 12-16g
- Glueless patch kit
- Dollar (to create a boot when the tire has a nice tear)
- Cartridge pump
- Tire/rim levers

I travel frequently either on well travelled roads with other bikers, or with a group.  That said, usually carrying one tube and a patch kit will get me through 2 flats.  If I run out of supplies, I'm going to beg from another rider for something I'm out of.  Knock on wood, haven't had to go there.  Obviously if you are going out for a ride to nowhere, pack accordingly.
- Stop the bike as soon as possible so you can hear and see the leak/puncture
- Make sure to pay attention to where this cut is in relation to the valve stem
- Shift the rear derailleur to the smallest sprocket
- Undo the brake lever that opens up the brake calipers and undo the quick release lever
- Dislodge the rear wheel.  THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART NEXT!
- Lay your bike down on the left side - Non-drive side.  Rookies will make the mistake and lay it on the derailleur and cause issues from there on
- Place the wheel in your lap or ground and use one tire lever to open up the tire from the rim
- Use the second lever to open up the tire next to the original lever and then slide it away and follow the rim.  The tire will then unseat itself
- Remove valve nut and then take the tube out.  Run your fingers around the area of the puncture.  This is why I mentioned to spot where the puncture was in relation to the stem for you to reference to
- Remove any debris that may have caused the issue.
- Pump in a little bit of air into the new tube, just enough to create the form
- Insert the valve through the rim and then seat the tube into the tire
- Pick a spot on the tire and tuck it in by hand and then move around the rim until it gets hard to do so.  This is where the levers come into play.  Use them to pry the tire back onto the rim, be careful not to pinch the tube
- Inspect the bead setting of the tire that it is seated correctly before adding any air.  If anything, add some and then release it to get any pinch flats out
- Air up!  I commonly compare my other tire's feel to gauge how much I need to ensure I get enough pressure in there to avoid a pinch flat

Hope my lengthy description is of any help!  Watch the video if you prefer to -  HAPPY RIDING!

No comments:

Post a Comment